Mothers Day and Portland

Multnomah Falls
James had a continuing ed course in Portland, so we made it a family trip. The drive was amazing. We witnessed winter turn into spring in a few hours as we drove up north on Highway 97 and along the Columbia River. We stopped by Multnomah Falls, a fish hatchery, and drove over several bridges just for the fun of it.


On Saturday while James was gone, me and the children went to the Zoo. While not even coming close to the Henry Dorley Zoo in Nebraska, it was wonderful in its own right, and it was fun to see the animals again. It was my first go at being in public with 3 children, and all in all, it went well. I have to publicly thank the penguins for entertaining the boys for a good 30 minutes while I nursed Lizzy for the first time in public.


My cousin, Mark Ray, and his family were so kind to have us over for dinner and an evening that James was gone. I was especially thankful, since the hotel we price lined ended up being VERY small. I was inittially excited to spend some hotel time with the children. Hmm, not the best idea.... I ended up almost having a nervous break down with all of us couped up in a 15ft by 15ft room, and no where to hide Lizzy or myself. It's amazing what 2 little boys can get themselves into in just 20 minutes of mommy nursing time in a hotel room! All I can say is 'sorry' to the person who cleaned the room up after us.


We got to see (and touch) the Portland Temple. It was just beautiful! You never would have guess by this cute picture that the mother of the family had a nervous break down 2 hours prior. Thank heavens for 'two hours'. There are many 'two hours' that occur in my life that I am very thankful for. And I'm thankful that children are so Christlike that they only need 2 minutes to forget about a raunchy mother. I wish so many times I could be more like them.

This is back at home. Sometimes Peter and I take pictures and then sing "If you chance to meet a frown." Seeing a picture of himself sad sometimes helps him be happy. It worked this morning.


What is more heavenly than sleeping with a child? It is one of the most rewarding times as a mother. James came home from work during the day and found ALL of us asleep at the same time. He snapped this picture (above).






James made the most delicious (and attractive) egg omelet I think I have ever had for Mother's Day. I am so grateful to be a mother. It has never been as joyful as it is now. It is neat to see the children grow in love for another human being.

4 comments:

Mark and Karen said...

It was so fun getting to visit with you guys. I'm glad you called Friday so we could help tire out your boys. They were a joy. We would love for you to visit again!

Kristine said...

It was wonderful to see you! We would love to spend more time with your sweet family! Next time I'll come to the zoo with you! :)

Rob and Marseille said...

oh portland! what a fun place to visit!

thirdof11 said...

Oh Abby, your blog is so much fun. I loved the pictures of your trip. I bet Andrew had a BLAST at the zoo. The temple picture you took was gorgeous. And that omelet, James, you are amazing and creative. Nice job.